Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Day

I don't like having a big production made for me for Valentine's Day. As a matter of fact, I have a rule...no flowers! It's not that I hate flowers or loathe the holiday. In actuality, I soooo love getting them, and I know that Alex loves me dearly and I don't need a Hallmark holiday for him to prove it. The part that I don't love is having my husband spend a fortune on flowers just because florists have marked up the price of them for the sake of taking advantage of the holiday and making an extra buck. Flowers are expensive enough on any other given day, but when it comes to holidays the prices are insane!

Yesterday was really nice. The kids had a great day in school and each came home with a bag stuffed with valentines and candy from their classmates. We wanted to exchange our valentines for each other when everyone was home, so when Alex got home with our son, we decided on dinner, ordered Thai and had it delivered. While we waited for our food, we exchanged our valentines. Alex gave me a mushy card that made me cry when I read it out loud, a cute big mylar balloon, and a bouquet of a dozen mixed white/milk chocolate covered strawberries. The kids bought me some really cute cards and made Alex his, which came complete with hugs and kisses. Alex and I gave the kids each a puzzle and a handmade valentine, which they loved. Since I've been homebound, I couldn't go out and buy a card for Alex this year. I wanted to do something different than the usual printing up my own card from americangreetings.com, so I was crafty this year and made Alex a mushy valentine. I decorated it with crafty scrapbook paper, a paper with a watermark of the sun setting over the beach, flower petals and a picture of us cut into a heart shape. On the watermarked paper, I wrote a mushy poem of how I loved him--my soulmate, and I believed in us. He loved it. :)

Our dinner came shortly after we exchanged our gifts and everything was so good. We ordered some chicken coconut soup, an order of golden bags (which is minced chicken and shrimp wrapped in a won ton skin and deep fried, served with a sweet and sour cucumber sauce), pineapple fried rice with chicken and shrimp, sweet and sour pork (because the kids don't really like spicy foods too much), and chicken panang curry. Everything was sooo good and the kids really enjoyed the food, even my picky son!

So we all had a really nice day filled with goodies, warm fuzzies, and most importantly--love. Hope you all had a really nice Valentine's Day as well, whether single or in a relationship. Happy Love Day!!!

No comments: