Wednesday, August 24, 2005

It's A Vole, You Say?

I found out what's been digging up our yard.
It turns out that we're not the only ones. I found an article about it in this morning's edition of the Sacramento Bee. Moles, voles, whatever...it's all the same to me. They're all rodents and it's digging up my front yard and leaving dirt mounds behind. Initially, it was only one or two dirt mounds. Now the dirt mounds are multiplying and they have begun working their way across the yard, tearing up what little front yard we have. We bought a stake that you put into the ground that's supposed to be a deterrent. It runs on batteries and makes a high pitched annoying "eeeeeee" sound, but so far it hasn't worked. The last time we went to Osh, Hubby bought one of those gas bombs, where you light the fuse, drop it in a tunnel, and bury it with dirt and the noxious fumes are either supposed to kill them or drive them away (if the process doesn't kill you first!). Unfortunately, with work and just the usual business, he hasn't found the time to give it a try.

[Sidenote: I e-mailed him at work with a link to the article before I started my post. Just got a response from him that said, "Gassing starts tonight! I hope it turns out better than Bill Murray in Caddyshack" HAHA What timing!]

You know, at first I was opposed to killing them, especially since we thought it was a little innocent mole (My daughter watches Franklin so I couldn't kill Mr. Mole!), but after reading the article and then doing some additional research I found out that they are just like mice and all they do is eat, breed and multiply so good riddance! Bleh! I hate rodents!

No comments: