Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Intervention on A&E--Have you seen this?

Tivo, Alex & I had a threesome and tuned into Intervention last night. It's a new program on A&E airing Sunday nights about people with various addictions (thinking that they're only filming a show on addictions), and midway through the show their family surprises them with a group intervention resulting in them being whisked away to rehab. We've watched 3 of these episodes so far, and my heart just bleeds for these people. It's so sad to see someone suffering so much, just tormented to the point where they have to turn to various things to feel in control when their life is taking an opposite turn. Last night's episode was the worst I've seen. One of the profiles shown was Tamela, a 24 yr old that was molested three times as a child and turn to cutting to deal with her pain. It was so heart wrenching to hear her story unfold, see scars from previous times, and then see her actually cutting herself with a razor blade to the point where she's soaked her clothing and sheets in blood. I just wanted to cry. There was so much pain in her eyes, and yet you could tell that she was trying almost too hard to be happy in front of others to cover it up. They all knew though, because she's told them before that she does it. I don't know...I just couldn't imagine seeing anyone in my life going through the same torment. If I knew that someone was a cutter, even if I didn't exactly know the right thing to do, I don't think I could just sit there and allow it to keep happening. Maybe it was because of editing, but we thought it was obvious that she was crying out for help. I guess that when someone is that close to you, you just don't want to see how serious the situation really is, or you're just paralyzed by the thought of the unknown. Whatever the reason, I'm glad that in the end she got the help that she needed and since taping the episode, she hasn't cut herself in over 200 days. Unfortunately though, there are 2 million others out there that need saving as well.

Anyway, sorry for the downer post today. Maybe it's the rain outside...or maybe I just need some comfort carbs. ;) Cold stone anyone?


No comments: